Dutch : Gember
French : Gingembre
Germany : Ingwer
Italian : Zenzero
Spanish : Jengibre
Botanical : Zingiber officinale
Family : Zingiberaceae
- Pest and Disease
- Pesticide & Fertilizer
- Selling method
Planting activity is usually done in the beginning of rain season by applying plant pattern in monoculture or intercropped. Intercropping is more profitable cropping pattern and can be performed between elephant ginger plant with another plant.
The purpose of intercropping is to increase production output and revenue. If plant ginger in the first month, plant lemongrass in the second month and plant turmeric in the third month, so when harvest comes, they can be done in sustainable harvest. In this way, farmers have opportunity to gain a sustainable harvest of sustainable income.Growth Conditions
text will ready soon
- Take good seed. It contains high rhizome fiber, smooth skin, not easy to peel, glossy color. Avoid dull / dim color, wrinkled, soft, and watery.
- No holes in rhizome.
- Each seed has 2 (two) buds by breaking big rhizome.
- Before planting, sprout it 2-4 weeks in moist place.
- Once after the shoots grow, it is ready to be planted on land.
- Clean the area of weeds, at least trim the dish with a diameter of 50 cm. (if the bush around the tall, trim the dish should be even wider.)
- Put the seedling into the hole about 2-3 cm shoots upward direction.
- It would be better if soil that cover hole mixed with compost.
- Clear weeds around plant until plant is strong enough (at least plant has 4 pieces of open leaves)
- Periodically doing mound, namely make a mound of soil onto the plants while loose the surrounding soil so create a mound.
- This maintenance only lasted until plant is strong enough and big (plant size is higher than grass / plant which exist around it, for 3-4 weeks).
Pest and Disease
- Bacterial wilt disease (Pseudomonas Bacteria Zingiberi) which can causes the pseudo stem rot and fall down.
- Leaf spot disease (Fungus Phyllosticta Zingiberi Ramak) which can cause leaf damage, yellowing and then shrink
- Pythium fungus which causes the decay of ginger rhizomes either of wet rot or soft rot.
Pesticide & Fertilizer
In organic farm which doesn’t use chemical, organic fertilization is done that is by using organic compost or manure is more often than if we use artificial fertilizer. Organic compost is given in the beginning of planting time when making longitudinal ground (guludan) as basic fertilizer as much as 60 – 80 ton per hectare which spread and mixed in processing soil. To converse the use of compost also can be done by filling each hole in the beginning of planting time as much as 0.5 – 1kg per plant. The next Insertion fertilizer can be done at age 2 – 3 months, 4 – 6 months, and 8 – 10 months. The dosage of fertilizer insertion of 2 – 3 kg per plant. The distribution of this compost is usually done after the weeding and along with mound activity.
Elephant ginger is harvested when it was old and aged at least 10 months. The physical characters that appear as follow:
- When the rhizome is pressed very hard and difficult to exfoliated skin by hand.
- Color in the outer skin is yellowish fresh look, shiny and there’s no redness at the tip of rhizome.
Fresh elephant ginger is divided into three grades, namely grade A, grade B and grade C.
Grade A has a weight of 200 gram up / rhizome : Rhizome forms are big and fat and also shiny skin color.
Grade B has a weight of 100 gram up / rhizome : Rhizome forms is medium.
Grade C has a weight of 50 gram / rhizome : Rhizome forms is small.
At the time of Washing process it should be done carefully in order not to skin exfoliation, because it can lowering ginger quality and also easily attack by the disease.
Elephant ginger which was washed, dried by wind with no direct sunlight because may cause depreciation. The clean elephant ginger is packed by using cardboard packaging content of 20 kg, while the clean elephant ginger which already passed grade process packaged by using sack, content of 12 kg or 50 kg based on grade. Need ± 28 ton of elephant ginger to fill a container of 40 feet.
This converter obtains up to the minute exchange rates from Yahoo Finance
You do not need to include a currency symbol such as $ or £
You can include the cents decimal , such as 1345.89 if you like